arrow Home arrow Tanzania Projects arrow Rangi arrow The Rangi People
Nov 29, 2005

The Rangi People

Written by Administrator

rangimap.jpgLocation within country: The Rangi live in six divisions of the Kondoa District: Kondoa, Pahi, Mondo, Goima, Kolo and Bereko, in northern-central Tanzania.

Geography and Climate: Bush savannah and highland forests, moderate semi-arid. Between January and May any village which does not lie on the Great North Road (excluding Kondoa, Mnenia and Pahi) might be inaccessible because of the rainy season. The Rangi live in an arid climate in central Tanzania bordered by the following:

  • Chenene Hills (S) which are at the border between Kondoa and Dodoma districts.
  • Forest reserve (SW) which is a government forest infested with the tsetse fly.
  • Bubu River Valley (W)
  • Bereko Escarpment (NW)
  • Tarangire National Park (NE)
  • Maasai Steppe (E)
  • Burunge Hills (SE)

Altitude: 1200-2000m ASL

Geographic Co-ordinates: Approx 5°S and 36°E

Populaton: 350,000.The majority of the Rangi population live in villages. People perceive their membership in communities by villages. These are not necessarily political villages but can be traditional villages.

Cultural Information: The Rangi are mainly farmers and grow cash crops such as: sunflower seeds, millet, beans, lentils, peas, and onions.

rangiseller.jpgGood price today! What do you need?
(Rangi, Tanzania)
Other goods are furniture, wooden crockery and cutlery, ropes and other useful household items and embroidered caps. They also have farm animals: predominantly cattle, goats and chickens. Many Rangi are also vendors in the marketplaces.

Diet: Food crops are millet, maize, legumes, potatoes, cassava, sugar cane, and various nuts and fruits. (The latter is found in the highlands only.)

Economic Status: Only about 2% of the population hold salaried (government) positions. The majority of all other income comes from small businesses (shops) and transportation of cargo. Estimated annual income per working person is $375USD. Cash crops also give some income but this is notoriously unreliable due to their dependence on rain.

The following are considered wealth:

  • Stored grain- either from one's own field or acquired with money from other activities. It is stored in special containers made of wood, and hidden. It’s eaten in times of need or for festivities or it might be sold again.
  • Cattle- either through animal husbandry or bought at auctions.

Alternate language names: Kirangi, Kilangi

Language Group Information: The Rangi language is categorized as Bantu F.33 within the Bantu subgroup of the Niger-Congo language family. Swahili is the language of education but most Rangi cannot fully understand it.

Religion: 93% Muslim. (There is a mosque in every village with eight in Kondoa Town.) The remaining 7% are primarily Roman Catholic. Traditional religious beliefs have often been incorporated into the majority religion. Reports of witchcraft among the Rangi are common.

 
 
Page generated in about 0.29 seconds
Problem with this site? Contact the Webmaster